Sunday, June 7, 2009

Not sure what to title it.

So I have this phrase I came up with, I write it in my journals a lot.
It'll probably become my signature quote, heh. But it's this:

The greatest feeling in the world is knowing God exists.
The second greatest feeling in the world is knowing He really does love us.
And the third greatest feeling in the world is knowing that He really is in control.

Certain events pop into my life that make that so evident.

I am in Tucson now at our vacation house with my mom, sisters, aunts, grandma, and 4 little girl cousins. We drove here on Friday.
Well, as we pulled into our house at like 1am, I got a text from Randy. So I'm like great....what did I do this time? I am so not in the mood to have a text fight again.

It said, and I quote:
"Hey I'm really sorry for everything. I'm a huge douche. I shouldn't of said that crap to you and you didn't deserve it. I hope we can still have a good relationship and be honest with each other. Have fun in Arizona. Love you."

My two thoughts were "WOW." and "What brought this on? Why is he suddenly apologizing? What happened?"

Soon after, he called my mom and talked to her for a really long time.

Yesterday, I casually brought up to my mom "Hey Randy texted me apologizing for everything...what did he say when he called you? Why all of a sudden is he apologizing?"

And my mom said he called her and said "I know it's late but I can't go to sleep without getting this off my chest." And he apologized for being disrespectful and told her things are going to be different. I guess he had a long talk with Uncle Matt (my dad's brother) and Aunt Diana, his wife. They've always been really great spiritual mentors for us kids. I'm not sure exactly what they talked about, but it really struck a chord with him.

Here's the crazy thing though. A long time ago Uncle Matt and I had a long talk and he told me that if you're ever in a fight with a friend or family member or someone, to say to God, "God, this person really hurt me, and I don't know what to do to resolve it. So I place this conflict in your hands." And he said he guarantees it always works out.

I've been really bitter/stubborn about this fight. But the other day when I was driving I got really upset. A Hey Monday song called 6 Months came on and one line in the chorus says "I can't think of anybody else who I hate to miss as much as I hate missing you."

I feel that way about Randy. Yes, we were fighting, but I missed him. So I asked God to take the conflict into his hands.
24 hours later...he did. :)

Here's another crazy thing.
Last night we drove to Phoenix to have dinner with some of my mom's relatives. It's a 2 hour drive. Well I was in shotgun and my mom was driving, following my aunts and grandma. The little girls were asleep but Emily and I were awake. On the way there, my mom told us the whole story about how she and my dad met and how everything fell together.

I've always just thought that my parents probably shouldn't have gotten together but they did and had a kid and so they just had to end up together. But when she explained the way things worked out, there is no doubt in my mind that God had a hand in their relationship.
She was working at Safeway in high school, and sort of dating this guy Brandon. And one day she and Brandon went to Safeway to grab something. Brandon was still looking for something while she checked out. She just happened to go down the aisle of her friend Robert, who was like "oh, when you come into work tomorrow I want you to meet this guy. I almost forgot and then I saw you."
The next day, he introduced her to my dad. And the rest is history...

Then she told us about when she found out she was pregnant, and just how supportive her mom was (she just lived with her mom). And she went to my dad's house and said "We need to break up. I'm pregnant and I know you don't want anything to do with me or the baby, so we can go our separate ways and I promise I won't try and get child support from you or anything."
And he was like "uh....no! we should get married!"

I've always thought I was an accident. But my mom said that if she hadn't gotten pregnant and then married, she would still be living in the springs, working at Safeway, going nowhere.

So I guess sometimes, no....ALL the time, God really is in control, even if it doesn't seem like it.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Wow! Amazing story, Ash. I am beyond psyched that God worked everything out for you so seamlessly. :) Way rad.

lovin da life i live :] said...

ok i LOVE this :) :) :) :)