The aim of "The Great Underarm Campaign" was to inform American womanhood of a problem that till then it didn't know it had, namely unsightly underarm hair.
To be sure, women had been concerned about the appearance of their hair since time immemorial, but (sensibly) only the stuff you could see.
But as fashion changed, dresses became sleeveless and showed leg, companies told women that they needed to shave when wearing those things.
The leg shaving campaign caught on much quicker and was more successful, as it was more practical.
Still, blaming fashion isn't consistent with history, because Greek women shaved EVERYTHING. (Notice how no naked Greek statues of women have pubic hair?) So it's more of a feminine statement, I suppose. Interestingly enough, Mediterranean women today don't usually shave. In fact, America probably puts the most emphasis on shaving.
So why not in Europe? It is, I suspect, just a matter of taste in Europe. Body hair can also be interpreted as a sign of adulthood, and body hair distinguishes women from girls.
(Alexander the Great made himself look younger, which men wanted to do, I suppose.)
All of this brings me to my age-old questions:
1. Why are women expected to shave their legs/underarms, always, but men with facial hair (if trimmed/kept well) are accepted?
2. Do we, as women, really shave because we WANT to, or because cosmetic companies (run by men) tell us that we have to?
3. Why is underarm hair and leg hair "unsightly" on women but not men?
See, we are socialized to do certain things and believe certain things. We see hairy legs on a woman and feel uncomfortable/grossed out. But why?
I argue with my mother on this issue a lot. She is appalled that I am even considering taking a stance against shaving.
She argues- "It's gross. It's dirty."
My response- "If leg/underarm hair is unclean, then why aren't you telling Randy and Richie to shave theirs?"
She argues- "Girls are just supposed to."
My response- "WHY?"
No one can tell me why. Even if they say it's just a feminine norm, I still must ask WHY is it feminine?
Is it just a way for men to keep us down?
This sounds really paranoid, but think about it.
Women in china have their feet bound at a young age. It makes it so their feet grow disfigured, the goal being that eventually, women cannot walk long distances. They stay put.
Think of how much of a hassle shaving is sometimes. We have to do it very often, we can cut ourselves, it's time-consuming, and alternatives like waxing are extremely painful. But if we don't, we are thought of as "hippies" "crazy feminists" or lesbians.
Remember, I do shave. But I don't shave often.
And I shave with bitterness.
(That sounds like a good Melissa Ethridge song title. I shave with bitterness.)




2 comments:
I love this...I totally won the No Shave November contest in college!!!
Ahh the age-old shaving battle royale! I know personally I shave pretty much every day 'cause to me it's more comfortable...but then again I'm not grossed out by women who don't. I think it's a personal decision, like whether or not men shave their facial hair.
Also - men are subject to some body hair grief...nowadays it's almost unseemly for men to have hairy chests whereas in the 70s it was sought after. And every commercial I've seen men half-nude in their chests are bare. *shrug* I have the same policy on that as with women...it's a personal decision that should be respected.
Interesting point on the Greeks, btw! Hadn't thought about it before. Did you know in Roman baths before they had razors they would pluck all their body hair? Ouchhh.
Post a Comment