It's a new found passion, and one that I will probably pursue in my career somehow.
Some days, little things tick me off.
Like my Foundations of a Christian Life professor always makes jokes about male superiority. He reads a verse that says "man" or "all men" or something general like that. And he follows it saying, "...because women aren't important..."
And he laughs and so does the class but he never actually says "I'm just kidding," which REALLY bothers me, and maybe it shouldn't.
Then in my fitness/wellness class today we had a lab where we had to see how many push-ups, sit-ups and squats we could do. I've always known that the men's fitness standards are higher than the women's standards, but it just bothers me. What if a woman CAN do more push ups? I know there are physiological differences between men and women. And I, by no means, need a higher standard to compare my fitness to, but I have theory:
Are women physiologically "inferior" because they are always TOLD that? I mean, our mentality is that women's numbers are smaller in the fitness test. So, do we subconsciously not try harder? What if we were always told that men and women had the same standard?
I don't know enough about the fitness standards to elaborate.
Finally, I will address something that REALLY ticked me off.
I read an article yesterday about the reality TV star Tila Tequila. I've never seen her show (or former show? It's no longer airing.) But I know the premise. She's a little party girl who is looking for "love." It's similar to The Bachelor, only much more distasteful AND she is choosing between men and women.
Anyway, the news article said that Tila had been assaulted by her boyfriend Shawne Merriman--who is a football player on The Chargers. (Shout out to Zack. ha)
The case isn't all that clear, but her side of the story is that her boyfriend choked her and threw her on the ground.
His side is that she was intoxicated and naked and he did not harm her, but was trying to keep her from leaving the house.
The charges were dropped, according to the news, so....
Who knows?
But here's what gets me:
People are saying that Tila is using this story as a publicity stunt, to keep herself in the public eye now that her show is over.
I don't know Tila. I don't particularly like who she is and what she stands for, and I am sure that she has a lot of fun and does things that celebrities do. Fine. I don't know what kind of person she is deep down, or what her true character is.
But here's what I do know:
Tila is a woman. A person. And my heart's belief is that women who come forth with assault charges are the bravest, and also most scared women in the world.
So few women report domestic abuse for this exact reason---the fear that no one will believe them.
Tila may have created for herself a poor image, but there is no reason for us to believe that she is lying. Famous women still get beat. Wild girls still get into bad relationships and bad situations. They still need a voice.
As far as Shawne goes...I don't know him either. But I do know that professional athletes have enough money and street cred to almost always get the charges dropped. We've seen it with Kobe and O.J.
If Shawne is telling the truth, I have to wonder how healthy their relationship is anyway. If they're fighting or he's trying to restrain her...something is up.
If he's not telling the truth, I'm sure it won't be a big deal. The charges are already dropped.
It makes me think back to Jesus and the woman caught in adultery. All of her accusers pointing the finger. She didn't defend herself. I bet that woman knew that it didn't matter. No one would believe her anyway.
Bottom line: at the end of the day, when the cameras are off and the stage makeup is washed down the porcelain sink, Tila Tequila is just another woman. A woman who is insecure like the rest of us, a woman who has a past, who has been hurt, and a woman who, despite what she's done, deserves to have someone believe her.




1 comments:
I very much admire you. That is all.
Post a Comment