-I am participating in National Novel Writing Month, which is--writing a novel (50,000 words or more) in November. So far I think I'm doing well with it.
On midnight on Halloween (so November 1st) I went to the "writing party" in the student center and hung out with everyone on campus who was participating. We started writing at 12am, and I only stayed about 2 hours but they had an all-nighter for anyone who wanted to stay longer.
I was the only person there who didn't have on a trench coat and/or medieval dress. Sometimes I forget that writers are weird and I don't necessarily fit the writer mold. They were all talking about online dragon games and all kinds of things that were over my head.
But I also forgot how much I love being in a room full of writers, writing together. It's so inspirational. And we can ask each other questions and ask for feedback. Writers are funny, too. These kids said the most witty, hilarious things that night.
So next time you watch The Office, remember that Steve Carell isn't funny. The WRITERS who write his script are funny. He's just a good actor.
-One of my friends on my hall, Raechel, read my book series I wrote (the 3 books- Take Cover, The Letter, and Breathless.) And she said she loved them and said I need to publish them. She knows a woman in Florida who just opened up a Christian publishing company and said she can give me her info.
I thought it was very sweet of her to say all that but I don't think those stories are good enough for publication. Or, if they are, I have LOT of work to do on them still. I feel like there's always room for improvement.
-Spring semester registration is approaching and I am trying to find a balance in getting in my core classes, my English major classes, and my Women's Studies minor classes. I feel a bit overwhelmed and a bit like I am going to be in school longer than I had planned. I also have some frustration with my school because they haven't yet added into their database my 2nd semester credits from CU Denver. So the computer still says I'm a freshman. Ha.
But I am meeting with my advisor tomorrow so I hope it gets all sorted out. Please pray.
-I am thinking about grad school (as should most junior-ish students) and I know I definitely want my master's degree in creative writing. NYU offers a creative writing grad program and it seems amazing. It's still at least 2 or 3 years away though, so I'm not going to fret over it yet because it's too much stress.
ONTO MORE FUN STUFF:
-I am kind of over the food here. Our caf is catered by a company called Bon Appetit and they are very good, but their food is very rich. So I'm ready to go home and eat what my mom always makes, you know?
Also, I've found that living in California means eating a ridiculous amount of Mexican food.
-Our GYRAD (Get Your Roommate A Date) event is Saturday November 21st. It's a big group date with our hall and the catch is that roommates get a date for each other. I, however, have 2 roommates who already have boyfriends so I don't have to find them anyone.
But apparently there is this big plan for ME that I was not aware of till recently. My roommate Vanessa's boyfriend has a close friend from church who she is thinking of setting me up with. He doesn't go to Vanguard, he's a couple years older, and apparently quite the catch.
My 3 other friends across the hall have seen his facebook and have all concluded that he is gorgeous. Blonde, I think, and very tall. I also know that he is a musician. That's all I know about him and Vanessa is vowing to keep quiet. I don't know his name or where he went to school or anything like that. So it's a little nerve-wracking knowing that I am getting set up with a mystery guy who is probably way out of my league. ha.
I am just hoping that GYRAD is a fun night and not too awkward nonetheless.
-On that note, I feel like everyone's question when I come back to visit will be: "Have you met anyone??"
And I'm going to go ahead and answer that question now. NO.
And if you must know WHY:
1. Because I am not in college with the intent of meeting my spouse. That's selfish and it undermines my educational aspirations.
2. Also because Vanguard guys are "afraid of girls." It's an old joke here apparently.
3. And finally, because--this is one of my life quotes--I don't like most guys and most guys don't like me.
I am much too picky. And my strong views, intelligence, and good looks all thrown together is extremely intimidating. I'm just sayin' ;)
-I absolutely love being in bible classes. I'm learning so much. In New Testament we are learning the parallels, and lack-there-of, in the 4 gospels.
Most scholars believe, with good reason, that the book of Mark was written first. My NT professor has a theory, and substantial evidence, that Mark was written first and the book of Mark was literally in front of the writer of the book of Matthew when Matthew was written. I think I believe him.
-I am going to start going to a young adult small group with my friend Tatiana. Hopefully I like it because I've had a hard time getting involved here.
-I went to both the girls and guys soccer games on Saturday. After watching so many of Emily's soccer games, I'm kind of over soccer. But I did have a good time and my face got tan.
-I ride my bike around town a lot and it's really fun. I just love the fact that the beach is right down the street and I can drive to Disneyland in 20 minutes if I want. :-D
-This Thursday night, our hall is dressing up in tacky prom dresses and going out to dinner at Norms (which is like village inn here.) Just another example of how crazy we are here.
-My agenda for tonight is so crazy. It goes: Invisible Children Documentary showing, Human Sexuality evening chapel, school comedy show, and then junior/senior broomball at the local ice rink.
Like I've said before, school is just something we do on the side here.
Here's a short, random video clip of my room and how everyone just likes to hang out in here. People come in my room all the time to talk, play taboo, play my guitar, or make snacks. I'm kind of a big deal.




2 comments:
I LOVED hearing all of your new updates. So cool about all of your writing endeavors and I also want to read every detail of GYRAD after it happens. :) :) Miss you!
Wow...definitely thought I posted a comment on this. Apparently not - my badness!
Ahhh, NaNoWrio...the month where all my friends who write go about with crazed looks and babble about word counts. And I mean that in the most affectionate manner possible. :) I'd love to read whatever you produce, as always!
I know how it goes with registration - SO annoying. I had to specially request to be in two of my classes because the computer still thinks I'm a sophomore. Lame.
As for GYRAD and the like, sounds like a fun opportunity to connect, and you must keep me updated!
Also, I'm with you on the meeting someone thing, as you inevitably know. We'll probably be meeting in coffee shops well into our 30s and still not get the hype. :)
LOVE YOU! Always awesome to read your updates.
P.S. Sorry I didn't reply to your text the other day, I was out of texts, but it made me laugh! Do I smell Cinnabon? Oh, I just got a cavity!
Post a Comment