I decided to make this list so that anyone in my life (or coming into my life) knows what he/she's in for. As many of you know there are-
Things About Me That You May Not Like But Must Accept If You Want To Be Close To Me:
1. I am closed-minded. Not just about religion and politics and social issues, but about most change in general. I see no reason to change anything that works fine (from facebook to remodeling a home.) In addition to my resistance to change, I do not believe that most people have the ability to change. So I give out few (if any) second chances.
2. I believe that I am always right. (Because I usually am always right.) I do not like admitting that I was wrong, but I rarely have to do it anyway. I believe God has given me the gift of wisdom and so do many adults and mentors in my life.
3. I am the oldest of 5, and I am the responsible big sister. I am not a cool older sister who covers for her younger siblings. I never have been and I never will be. I am the older sister who rats her siblings out. I am the older sister who tries to be the third parent. I critique my parents' parenting and believe that I will be a better disciplinarian when or if I have kids one day.
4. I do not tolerate ignorance. Ignorance of history, ignorance of current events, ignorance of grammatical use, ignorance of people who are different, or ignorance of politics. By not tolerate I mean that once you give me the impression that you are ignorant in any way, I lose respect for you and will (in my mind) belittle you from now on.
5. In addition, I do not tolerate destructive behavior. And I consider destructive behavior to be drug use, excess of alcohol/tobacco products, promiscuous sex, violent behavior, etc. Many often say to me, "Just because I have done drugs/get drunk/have sex/etc. and you haven't, doesn't mean you're better than I am."
And my response is, "Yes it does."
6. I do not like it when people make excuses about why they are where they are in life. I believe excuses are like armpits- everyone has them and they stink. I have little or no respect for individuals with chips on their shoulders and it doesn't take me long to tune out of a whining speech.
7. I believe very strongly that there is absolutely nothing wrong with children, and any and all problems they have are a result of their parents/caretakers.
8. I believe very strongly in gender roles and especially in women's rights. I believe men need to step up and be better leaders and take initiative more. I believe women should never be expected to do something difficult or painful if a man can take her place and do it.
If a man does not hold a door for me or another woman, I automatically label him as a jerk. If a man does not volunteer to pay for something, carry something heavy a woman has, or watch his language around women, I automatically label him as NOT a man.
9. In addition, I am a hardcore feminist when it comes to the objectification of women. I believe that everything from Hooters to the Playboy Mansion to Pornography to America's Next Top model are horrible examples for women to follow and all lead to men's violent behavior and belittling of women. My children will never (under my supervision at least) be exposed to media like that.
And while some see the Bible as sexist, I will challenge you anytime to a debate in which I show you just how much Jesus loved and respected women.
10. I have a very cynical view of love and marriage. I believe that love is a verb, and a thing that people must work at. I believe that marriage is a brand new dynamic of love, and that love is not enough to make a marriage work. I believe that marriages back in the day, based on a dowry, were almost better than the ones today where we base them on "love," simply because so many couples divorce over money.
For this reason, I will not even consider dating a guy unless he has a job. And unless he is the type to get a career and become stable, he has no future with me.
11. I believe that elders must be respected, always. Elders do not earn my respect as others must, they just automatically have it. When a young person is disrespectful to someone in a position of authority, I automatically blame that young person's parents for not teaching them proper manners.
12. I will not consider a future with a guy who has already had sex. If he's the man of my dreams but he's not a virgin, I'm out. If I am saving myself for him, he better be saving himself for me.
13. I am very cynical about public speakers. Very few people know how to keep an audience's attention. If you cannot speak well and avoid verbal fillers, get off the stage.
14. I am a music snob. I like bands that no one has heard of, and I am usually pretty upset when a band sells out. I am loyal to my favorite bands, and selfish for them.
15. I find it much easier to forget rather than forgive. As a result, I have many broken relationships in my life, and it's because I would rather ignore the problem. I find it very easy to lose contact with someone in a very civil manner.
Taylore
8 years ago




2 comments:
I'm right with you on number 15. That's the story of my life and I feel like the people forgotten because of it can get over it. Obviously, I wasn't getting enough out of whatever we had, or thought I deserved better.
Call me self-centered.
Uh, dude. Everything on this list is part of the reason I love you, particularly things I differ on, because I think individuality is pretty much God's most epic gift to the human race. In summary, you make me smile. :D
Post a Comment