"I just want to run to you
And break off the chains, and throw them away
I just want to be so much
And shake off the dust that turned me to rust
Sooner than later, I'll need a savior, I'll need a saviour." -LIGHTS
Last night I went to Rock Harbor Church for the nighttime college service they have every Sunday. It's a mega church in Orange County and it seems to be the hop around campus so I went.
There were SO many hot guys. It was a little ridiculous.
I really enjoyed the worship, but they only played like 3 songs. I wanted to worship longer!
They talked all about the church planting they're doing around California and it sounds so awesome. They just opened a Church in a club in the heart of Hollywood. Talk about awesome!
I really want to be a part of something great like that.
The more I think about Vision 139, the more I wonder WHERE God wants me to plant the shelter. Obviously, I need to find a city that has a large population of strippers/dancers/prostitutes/porn stars.
God has an idea somewhere out there, and I am just waiting for him to reveal it to me. I'm stubbornly resisting his whisper of "Los Angeles? Hollywood?...." He's going to have to carry me kicking and screaming to those places. UGHH.
I also am working really hard on being a braver person. But I also must remember that the flesh is useless without the power of the Holy Spirit.
So I need to let God make me a braver person.
Here is something I wrote the other day at Starbucks:
There's something gripping about this place.
Everyone said Orange County is a hard place to leave.
I guess I just never expected I'd get sucked into its charm.
In some ways, it's nothing like the place you see in the movies.
In other ways, it's exactly like everything you see in the movies.
People drive by in their convertibles, the latest hip hop song thumping from their speakers.
And if it's a song you like, or even a song you don't like but find catchy, you can't help but smile.
People speed by on beach cruisers. Some of them have a basket on the front, some have a baby seat on the back. Either way, they remind us that responsibility is not immobile, that our work can go with us.
A lot of the men here wear tank tops with baggy dress pants, backwards hats, and have tattoos all over their arms and chests. They remind us that some people embrace every defiance they can once they turn eighteen, but they never truly grow up.
Women here are of two extremes. Both are skinny. There are the skinny women who go out in the latest, most expensive fashions, and then there are the skinny women who go out in their workout clothes. Either type can, and probably does, change to the other. They remind us that our bodies are temples. Nurtured, and yet put on display. But they also remind me that something is missing underneath their bleach blonde locks and Gucci purses.
The children here grip me the most. The little girls jump and twirl at the beach in their Little Mermaid two-pieces. They know they're beautiful and they don't make efforts to keep it that way yet.
The little boys here have long hair. They carry little boogie boards and give strangers the hang-loose sign.
People here use their car horns a lot. They're in a hurry. They strive for excellence. For an image. They know how to chill. They don't know good music. They know how to light up cities at night. They know how to really drive. They love their sports teams. They love Mexican food. They love culture. And some of them even love God. A lot.
Is California good enough for me, compared to Colorado? Not for a second. Do I like the crowds, the smog, the stress when driving, and the inconsiderate population? No.
But every time I meet a guy wearing a beanie, in a beach muscle shirt, wearing thick glasses, and he tells me he likes The Almost and that he knows how to snowboard, I think to myself-- why leave?




1 comments:
There are men in beanies with thick glasses the board and enjoy the Almost here too dude... I'm glad you're not planning on ditching the CO as the greatest place in the world... I'm thinking Vegas would be good for 139... Yea?
Post a Comment